Researchers: Rahim Virani, David Boulanger, Jeremie Seanosky
The Caliper project aims to develop solutions that capture learning events in a standardized and interoperable manner. Caliper events arising from a variety of sensors attached to numerous learning tools used by learners can be stored in OpenACRE. Analytics solutions can then be applied on sanitized data to extract, analyze, or generate insights.
- Caliper PDF Demo by David Boulanger
- Caliper Demo by David Boulanger
Project Status: PoC in Progress
The Caliper implementation project is an initiative from the Big Data ATTS team to answer the following research questions:
- Is the Caliper Framework implementable locally?
- Can the Caliper Framework be extended to Support Big Data principals?
- Can we provide a platform for Learning Analytics Researchers and Data Scientists?
Caliper Learning Analytics Platform
- IMS Global Debuts Learning Analytics Platform
- Open Learning Analytics: an integrated & modularized platform
- Scaling Up: Big Data to Big Impact
- Workshop Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Computers in Education ICCE 2014
- Connected Learning Innovation Community
- IMS Global Announces Successful Caliper Analytics Framework Demonstrations and February Testfest
- IMS/GLC Caliper
- IMS Global Announces Learning Analytics Interoperability Framework
- Getting Started with Open Learning Analytics – Data Collection
- Open Apereo 2014
- The IMS Specifications for Learning Content: Common Cartridge, LTI, QTI/APIP, Caliper and EDUPUB
- Open Apereo 2014 Conference: Learning Analytics Technologies
- Standards and Learning Analytics – current activities 2014
- Learning Measurement for Analytics Whitepaper
- The IMS’s New “Caliper” Learning Analytics Interoperability Framework Is Deeply Interesting
- UNICON SERVICES FOR LEARNING TOOLS INTEROPERABILITY (LTI)
- Learning Analytics Interoperability – The Big Picture in Brief
- Interoperability – LTI and Experience API (Formerly TinCan)
- IMS Global – BasicLTI Utilities
- A server that will read & store events that conform to IMSGlobal’s Caliper specification
Readium – EDUPUB
- IMS Quarterly Briefing: EDUPUB
- Using IMS Caliper Analytics™, Question and Test Interoperability™ and Learning Tools Interoperability™ with EPUB3TM: EDUPUB Best Practices
Impact and Opportunity
Extend the current implementation from a traditional structured data-warehouse to an implementation that can support semi-structured data otherwise known as Big-Data.
Extend the framework for researchers so history can be kept and datasets paving the way for continuous improvement for not only researchers but students as well
Allow for the integration of third party data sets where applicable such as Text-book vendors and MOOCs.
Support integrated Learning Tools such as MI-Writer to provide storage of Learner data and engine support for real-time or pseudo real-time feedback
The research team evaluated a few other learning analytics frameworks based on the documentation available and has elected to use Caliper. The main driver behind the research is that the research team feels Caliper is the best framework to extend because of its modularity and ontology-based approach. Please read on for further information.
For more details please see the following presentation Caliper Project.